The Association of Black Psychologists sees its mission and destiny as the liberation of the African Mind, empowerment of the African Character, and enlivement and illumination of the African Spirit.
Purpose of the Association
The Association is organized to operate exclusively for charitable and educational purposes, including but not limited to:
- promoting and advancing the profession of African Psychology
- influencing and affecting social change; and
- developing programs whereby psychologists of African descent (hereafter known as Black Psychologists) can assist in solving problems of Black communities and other ethnic groups.
To accomplish these purposes, the Board of Directors (hereafter known as "the board") shall exercise the following specific functions:
- establish a central organization of Black Psychologists;
- develop funding sources for working capital, staff support, and educational programs;
- seek funding for projects involving Black Psychologists, such projects to include, but not be limited to: Scholarly Journals, Training Programs, Recruitment of Students and Faculty and community Mental Health Care Programs; and
- work with such organizations of behavioral scientists as are able to implement the purposes of The Association.